Thursday, April 5, 2007

An Ugly Badge of Courage

This author is the type of person I would not want to hang out with. Although her writing is engaging and she kept me reading because I wanted to know what type of tattoo she'd decide on, the more I read the more I disliked her. Certain things kept getting on my nerves, like how she called the lady who cut her hair her "hair therapist" and how she made this out to be the biggest decision of her life. The thing that sent me over the top was when she wanted to tell the younger people at the tattoo parlor that tattoos were "for those of us who have lived enough to have something permanent to say." I laughed out loud. Who is she to judge these people and what they want to do with themselves? Another thing that made me laugh is that she brought a doctor with her to make sure the needles were clean. No wonder people were looking at her funny. As far as looking at this story through her writing, I thought she did a good job with telling the story and keeping the reader engaged by not giving away what the tattoo would be early on. The most important thing in journalism is to keep the reader reading. But, some writers rub some readers the wrong way and she was too abrasive for me. Also, her tattoo sucked. It was a good idea and the symbolism of it was touching, but unless you read the article no one would be able to tell what was on her ankle.

3 comments:

Windsor said...

I totally agree with you Mike. I too found her story to be very compelling as far as her ability and good fortune to recover from cancer, but I find her writing style to be very arrogant. Recovering from cancer should not be viewed as gaining an all knowing wisdom that “everyone else” can not fathom, but more of an experience to really find out what is inside oneself.
The funny parts that you mentioned I can definitely agree with them as being aggravating. The comment that really pushed me to the edge was “My friend Ranit, a doctor, came with me make sure I wasn't at risk of contracting hepatitis C from a dirty needle. She asked the right questions, surveyed the scene and took pictures.” I found it funny that she needed to have her doctor come and inspect the tattoo parlor before she was able to get the tattoo. Although, one could look at this as a symbol meaning that with the help of the doctor Deborah was able to overcome cancer and she wanted the same type of help with getting this tattoo. Oh well, we can both agree that we do not want to spend an inordinate amount of time with this woman.

Wendy said...

I think she might still have health concerns post cancer therapy. I don't think it's over the top to have a doctor that you trust check out a place where they're going to be sticking needles into your skin, in all honesty. But maybe that's the paranoia from my EMT side that says that... But in any kind of invasive procedure, sterility and good standards are a plus!

And she has a right to her opinion, I mean, if she thinks tattoos should always be a symbol memorializing the conclusion of a struggle then that is how she views them. Personally, I don't care who gets a tattoo or why they do it. Your body, your funeral! (Or not... if you look at the Jewish cemetary concern that he friend had...)

Marin said...

Fair enough about not liking the person she presents on the page--the "I" character as Lopate describes. But can you fairly make the leap that you wouldn't like the person? Don't confuse author and narrator. Do you think they're necessarily the same in creative nonfiction writing?