Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Pattern of Migration

I identify with the Pattern of Migration story because, like O’Kane, I have moved around several times (8 different cities) and don’t really know where to call home. Despite the third word of the story being a typo (no online editors?), the lede serves an interesting purpose. O’Kane uses her parents’ loyalty toward Ireland to contrast her lack of a place to call home. Even when she writes of how her parents fell in love with California, she’s continuing to bring light to this contrast. When I first read the ending of the story I thought that it was anti-climactic and was left wanting some resolution. However, the second time I read it I realized I missed the importance of her father’s wishes to be buried back in Ireland. Since it’s a personal story I forgot to look for the importance of each event as it relates to the story-teller. When her father says he wants to be buried in Ireland, O’Kane realizes that not even her parents were set on calling one place home. And, at the end of the story when she takes time to sit in reflect she says, “Right now, with my head in Ireland, my heart in the Deep South and my belongings headed to Wisconsin, I have no idea where home is.” This isn’t necessarily a bad thing because after her views change about her parents she realizes that this isn’t such a bad thing. This story was helpful in understanding personal narratives because the author used an interesting technique by intertwining her parents’ lives to make amends with her own on-the-go lifestyle.

2 comments:

Lindsey M. Craig said...

I, too, was immediately thrown by the typo in the first line. Such mistakes make me completely uninterested in following this author's piece. The fact that the mistake is in the first three words makes me wonder if she even glanced over her work before she posted it. I do believe that such errors are becoming more prevalent and as journalism shifts to online sources I hope that the standards for correct spelling and grammar stay high.

Lickel Wood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.